Monday, June 29, 2009











Hello Everyone,

This week we have composting as usual but we will also be planting seeds. Oh yeah, and, gr
eat news! The administration decided to give us an extra $1000 to purchase the rest of the raised beds! Looks like we'll have a full garden by the end of the summer.

Someone in club (Alyssa) sent me a link to a CNN article about the "revolution" we are a part of. cnn.com/2009/LIVING/06/29/bia.urban.farming/index.html

My thought is that we have spent far too much time eating junk that is fed to us, watching TV that teaches us bad habits (and keeps us on the couch), and generally deteriorating our bodies and minds with "modern life." I don't mean to sound reactionary (I like my smart phone as much as the next person) but I also think there is a reason our ancestors were so close to nature, the seasons and the whole food process for so many generations. I think revolution might be a bit strong of a word but I like the Ghanaian word they refer to in the article "sankofa." It means returning to the past to move forward. I think its a nice idea and we could use some of that-- check these two articles out and see why!
1) - On corporate food and how it keeps us so captivated:
-nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?_r=1&ref=dining
2) - Paul Krugman's column on newest predictions on global warming and its
international consequences:
- nytimes.com/2009/06/29/opinion/29Krugman.html?em
Anyway, on a brighter note, here are some photos from planting and brunch


POSTED BY ELISSA CHANDLER

No comments:

Post a Comment